Even Paris doesn't look pretty in cold, rainy March days. But when the sun comes out, the fountains of Versailles all come on and the noise of the Paris Marathon wakes me up on a Sunday morning, it's definitely time for spring.
My friend Amber came to visit this week, bringing two of her friends (one from school, and the other from her program in Denmark). It was perfect timing for me to explore some of the more touristy parts of Paris. The first night I took them to my favorite Creperie by Montparnasse- one of the bigger districts with lots of lights and movie theatres. We ate lunch next to the Seine on Ile St Louis, with hot baguettes, fromage de Savoie and Camembert, and finally wandered over to the Centre Pompidou (or Beaubourg)- Paris's modern art museum. We didn't even make it inside- it was so beautiful out, we just napped in the sunshine. There was a guy attempting to sing Beatles songs on the guitar (Baby's good to me, she's happy as can be, and I feel sad. what?!)
Just like our April 1, the French have le Poisson d'Avril, where on April 1 people take cutouts of fish (they used to be real fish) and pin them on strangers' backs. It was funny to watch outside that day- especially in the more crowded districts there seemed to be some "fishy" situations. (haha..)
Saturday we finally went to Versailles! Aside from the 2 hour line (that's what you get for going on a Saturday) it was absolutely beautiful. There was an exhibition on Court dress during Louis XVI's reign- which was pretty interesting because most of the clothes were from other countries. Apparently the French didn't save very much in terms of apparel from the Louis periods.
The Hall of Mirrors was so beautiful- it was really cool to see how all of the mirrors on the one side (overlooking the gardens) reflected the daylight and illuminated the entire hall. On either side of the hall were the rooms of Paix et Guerre (peace and war). It was supposed to help represent a transformation, as well as an equality among the two ideologies. One room had symbols of peace and tranquility, and the other used to house all of the war trophies and victory paintings.
But SUNDAY. Best day of the week. I woke up, after an excellent 11 hours, not really wanting to get out of bed, but not exhausted either. Sundays are my long run days, so I finally made myself get up and go downstairs to make breakfast. As soon as I got outside I could hear the music and the chanting- and in the kitchen there it was. The Paris Marathon. The very one I was hearing outside of my door...
Right after I watched the winner of the 26.2 (or.. 42.3 here) finish in 2:05 (yeah... that's a five minute mile) I decided I was inspired enough to go on my own long distance. Of course, mine was half the length in the same amount of time- but it was so great! I could see the remaining marathoners finishing the race- people rollerblading next to them, and everyone watching from the bridges as they passed underneath. I forgot how great sports are- how unifying they can be for a city. For me! I even got some lucky droppings on my shirt/down my arm just as I started the run. Gross.
This is the last week before Spring Break! It's a crazy week of Phonetics, classes, and thinking about next semester. It's very strange to realize that life will actually continue after I leave Paris... I feel like I live in another dimension!
A toute!

No comments:
Post a Comment